Cooking-at-Camont: The Art of Gascon Cooking in this Kitchen.
Want to change the way you cook? Reboot your own style? Or get inspired by an up close and personal relationship with the people who grow our food? It begins here, in my 18th-Century Kitchen-at-Camont where kitchen and cooking equals La Cuisine.
- “Anyone interested in Southwestern French cuisine should go spend some time with Kate at Camont and soak up some of her expertise and joie de vivre. She will change the way you cook.” Peter Barrett- Charcutepalooza Grand Prize winner
- “Kate, I can honestly say that my time in Camont did change my life and the way I live and the way I am in the world. All of those things are by extension helping to change and shape my community… it is fun. it is exciting. it is rewarding. but most of all it is beginning to allow a sustainable and locally sourced food supply that is healthy and delicious. thanks !” Bill Law
Some of the recipes you’ll learn as we cook through the seasons in Gascony:
- Camp Cassoulet- my annual Master Class to learn this South West French classic.
- Cooking the Fat Duck- cooking & preserving fatted ducks the traditional way: confit du canard, magret seché, paté & rillettes
- Charcuterie for Beginners: Terrines, Rillettes & Ventrèche- from the simple to the sublime, we transform pork, game and poultry into art.
- Rustic Pastries & Gascon Desserts- goat’s cheese Tourteau, Gateau Basque, and Perfect Pastry.
- Traditional Farmhouse Food- Lapin aux Pruneaux, Coq au Vin & Civet de Canard
We start early in the morning for the first of our intensive day-long classes. Working only with local farm fresh ingredients and classic French techniques, we create exemplary seasonal menus that reflect terroir in the cooking of Southwest France. We cook for 6 hours per day - breaking for a long French lunch – from the best seasonal Gascon produce! And of course, cooking isn’t only about recipes and ingredients. On market days, we’ll take you to our favorite farmers’ market to meet some of our favorite artisan food producers.
Seasonal Short Courses- 1-4 days:
Jan. 11-13 Weekend Cassoulet & Confit
Jan. 25-27 The Whole Duck: From Foie Gras to Confit
Feb. 1-3 CAmp Cassoulet & Charcuterie for beginners- Pig Head Terrine, Rillettes & Ventreche
Mar. 13-16 Basque Country Charcuterie Tour- Ham Heaven
April all month: Workshops in the US- see our schedule here
May 3-5 Cooking the Potager- Heirloom French Seeds
June 20-23* 4-day Masterclass “1000 Grains of Wheat” with Bake Emmanuel Hadjiandreou (350 Euros per day)
July & August Night Market Crawl with Kate & Co. (special 100 € per person plus food costs)
Cost: 250€ per person per day includes lunch with wine.
Five-day complete courses including Market Tour or Farm Excursion:
June 10-14 Gascon Cooking Basix- simple food to cook at home.
June 23-28* SPECIAL Cooking with Tuscan Fire w/ Judy Witts- a Franco/Italian throw down at the new Wood Oven
July 1-5 Preserving Summer Food in Gascony
Sept. 9-13 Harvest Food in Gascony
Sept 16-20* SPECIAL 5-day Masterclass with Baker Emmanuel Hadjiandreou- Sourdough and Ancient Grains
Sept 23-27 Introduction to Butchery & Charcuterie
Cost: 2000€ per person for 5-day program*
This price includes daily classes from 9:30 am- 4:30 pm, lunch with wine, food, materials and supplies. Recipes provided. Please note: accommodation and local transportation are not included, so please see here for our pick of local places to stay. You can rent a car locally or we’ll happily arrange transportation by local taxi for you to and from Camont for classes.
*SPECIAL Guest Teachers: Prices for special classes with guest teachers as described above reflect added teaching and promotional costs.
Join my Tuscan buddy Judy Witts and I for a week of tag team wood oven cooking at Camont. Learn to make pizza & flat breads like socca and focaccia, porchetta, stuffed rabbit & lamb, and lots of roasted vegetables from Camont’s garden while celebrate mid-summer’s harvest of green walnuts for a fete de Vin de St. Jean! Class Cost- 2500€
Master baker & teacher Emmanuel Hadjiandreou leads two special workshops in bread baking, one for beginners or novices and one for experienced bakers. His award-winning book, ’How to make Bread‘ has opened the oven door for cooks wishing to discover the tricks of this ancient trade. 5-day sourdough and ancient grains. Master Class- 2500€
To book, email: firstname.lastname@example.org